Before applying, please check if you meet the qualifications to be considered for acceptance to the Program.
The 11 men and 12 women who make up the 2011 class of McDermott Scholars were in the top 1.4 percent of their high school classes and averaged a two-part SAT score of 1525. They are athletes, artists, scientists and writers. Ten of them are from the Dallas area, five are from other parts of Texas, and the remaining eight hail from seven other states.
Students who have the best chance of being invited to McDermott Finalists’ Weekend will have:
- 1400 or higher on the two part SAT (verbal and math);
- 2100 or higher on the three part SAT;
- 32 or higher on the ACT;
- A class rank in the top five percent of their graduating class;
- First-time college freshman
- AP, IB, CLEP, and Dual-Credit acceptable,
- Current UT Dallas students or Transfer students not eligible;
- Long records of community volunteerism and leadership in school;
- Broad and eclectic interests in science, literature, and the arts; and
- Social skills to interact easily with adults as well as peers.
The Program welcomes all majors.
Applications are accepted from across Texas, the U.S., and the world.